Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Results Are In


What does it all mean!? Though yesterday's elections have already been taken apart piece by piece by well-dressed and self-important men and women on television, if you are reading this, you must want my opinion as well, so allow me to provide!

There weren't many elections yesterday, but the ones that took place were - I think and hope - indicative of the direction in which the nation is moving. With a few exceptions - including the defeat of Republican Joe Lhota in NYC's mayoral race! - I am pleased with the outcomes. My analyses below.

The Wins
1) A Democrat is elected governor of Virginia. This is good mostly because the Republican Ken Cuccinelli, is, for lack of a better term, a clown. He ran with full tea party support, and just about anyone with whom I am familiar who is supported by the tea party is long on patriotic buzzwords and short on intellect. I don't know as much as Cuccinelli as I do about, say Ted Cruz (public enemy #1), but I know his social views were appropriately abhorrent to receive tea party support, and that's really enough for me. His opponent, and now governor-elect of Virginia, Terry McAuliffe, has previously been plagued by political scandals, but we all know that many scandals are half-baked, and my research didn't indicate anything in McAuliffe's past that would make him unelectable (clearly the voters in Virginia agreed). I find two things encouraging about McAuliffe's victory: it was a loss for the tea party which is almost by definition a win for America, and he won by making the case that Cuccinelli's backwards social views would be bad for Virginia's economy by discouraging investment in the state. He's right about that, and I'm glad the Virginia voters heeded his call. 

2) Chris Christie is reelected governor of New Jersey. Surprised? Yes, I'm happy Christie won. I didn't know much about his Democratic opponent, and while I'm sure I would have agreed with her more often than I do with Christie, the Republican party is desperately in need of some sane moderates, and Christie is one of the few I can identify. The New York Times last night declared that his victory vaults him to the front of the Republican field for 2016, and I find that news to be simply extraordinary. Christie's style may not win him a general election - I'm not sure I want him to win a general election - but he's about as good a standard-bearer as exists among Republicans right now, and if his win last night and his likely 2016 run for president help move the Republican party back into the realm of sanity and away from the tea party then he's damn-near an American hero. Congrats, Chris.

3) Dean Young loses in Alabama. Don't know Dean Young? Neither did I until recently. Neither did I know the man who defeated him, Brynes, until about a few weeks ago when the news of their duel in the Republican primary in a special election became national. Brynes will now go on to defeat whoever it is the Democrats have found to run against him, but his victory over Young is important. Brynes was the "establishment" (read: moderate; sane; normal) candidate. Dean was the tea party-backed prophet of the apocalypse - no really - forecasting the end of our "Western Christian Empire," and railing against homosexuality. That Brynes managed to beat Dean in a state as red as Alabama is encouraging. Perhaps even the staunchest Republicans are awakening to the lunacy of the tea party. I don't know much about Brynes, but all I need to know is that he was the anti-tea party candidate. I hope that small local primary is a sign of things to come on the national stage.

4) It happened a few weeks back, but Corey Booker is now a Senator. This can be summed up in one word: Awesome.

The Losses 
1) Bill De Blasio elected mayor of New York City. I don't hate De Blasio. In fact, I'm onboard with a lot of his progressive ideas, but I don't really think he has a blueprint for achieving many of them, and his ideas for reforming education are regressive rather than progressive. If you really want to be progressive and attack inequality as De Blasio does - and I genuinely believe that - you have to start with education, and De Blasio's Republican opponent, Joe Lhota, had way better ideas for how to reform and fix New York City's schools. I'm optimistic that De Blasio won't be able to inflict serious damage on the charter school movement in New York, but his stance on education does little to help public education. If he can indeed increase taxes on the wealthy to fund universal prekindergarten I'll be happy, and I do think his heart is in the right place, but he has a lot to prove to me, and right now, I'm wishing Lhota had pulled off the upset.

2) Colorado voters reject tax increase that would have funded public education. Poor public education, and poor children. They can't vote so they don't have a voice, but they are the future of our country, and educating them is the only way we can remain a successful country. Education is the very bedrock of America, but it gets swept under the rug. Colorado has pioneered some really encouraging school reforms, but yesterday voters negated some of the good that would have been done in a referendum on tax increases that would have funded many of the initiatives. Higher taxes aren't really politically appealing, and the opposition made the case that they would be bad for the economy. This may be true, but what will be worse for Colorado's economy is all of the uneducated children being pumped out of failing schools. Good investments are usually long-term, but Colorado's voters went to the polls with their wallets, not their state's future on the forefront of their mind. It's hard to blame them I suppose, but I'm still disappointed. Education is the ultimate investment, and it is always discouraging to see our country take steps backward when it comes to education reform because it's a political issue without constituents. 

The Verdict
Overall, I find myself pleased with yesterday's outcomes. Surprising as it may seem I am encouraged by the victory of one Republican, and discouraged by another's loss, but I remain optimistic that De Blasio will be able to do limited damage, and may actually realize that his ideas about public education are regressive and come around on the issue. What I'm most disappointed about is the outcome in Colorado, but the same politicians who passed this bill are still in office, and I believe they will try to craft a new and better bill that can win public support for reforming schools. 

Perhaps most importantly, yesterday was a severe reprimand for the tea party, a group that one can only hope is losing its appeal as it becomes even more obvious (it was obvious almost from the beginning) that they are devoid of positive ideas for improving America, and that their social views are more aligned with the ayatollahs in Iran than with 21st century America. 

Yesterday gives me some hope for America's near future. Let's hope we can keep up the momentum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment