Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A vote for healthcare is a vote for you

You've heard about the government TAKEOVER of healthcare...er, I mean the new healthcare law? If there's one thing that irks me, it's the government sticking its nose where it doesn't belong and taking over private industries. If there are other things that irk me, it's lies about healthcare laws and insurance companies who take my money when I'm healthy and then refuse to give it back to me when I'm sick.

With elections nearing, I need to decide what irks me more. This is actually an easy decision since one of the things that bothers me didn't actually happen. Claiming the government took over healthcare is the like claiming that guns don't kill people...

But seriously, let's re-examine healthcare, a law that is by no means perfect. In fact just, last weekend a friend explained to me that his company would be scaling back his healthcare plan to avoid taxes. Flaw. The admirable thing about this? My friend still supported the law because it would help others. That's a real American right there, and only with that attitude -not the cult-of-me, credit card culture that too many of us are addicted to - will we move forward.

But what about all the GOOD things that the healthcare law does? If my friend is going to have his coverage scaled back, but he still supports the law, then it has to benefit someone somehow, right?

What does this government takeover offer us? How about the fact that insurance companies are no longer allowed to steal from people? And yes, stealing is what insurance companies have been allowed to do. Raise your hand if you want to pay an insurance company every month and then have them drop your coverage when you get sick. In what world is that right, fair, or moral? It's actually disgraceful that we made it all the way to 2010 with that being allowed. How about pre-existing conditions, especially for children? Have a baby born with an illness? Tough luck. Does that sound right? Not to me, but for years, insurance companies have been allowed to tell parents that. Not anymore.

Now, it's all well and good to argue morality, but there is something more to this argument...MONEY. Because I'm all for people with pre-existing conditions having insurance, but someone has to pay for it. In America, healthcare is a right. If you don't believe me, you can go to your local emergency room and read the sign on the wall that says no one can be denied care based on their ability to pay.

The problem of course, is that healthcare is expensive. If it's a right, we need a way to pay for it. Problematically, when individuals without health insurance receive healthcare. Even more problematically, most people without insurance delay or avoid going to the doctor until they absolutely have to, meaning that they don't get cheaper, preventative care, they get expensive emergency care. When this happens, Uncle Sam foots the bill. When Uncle Sam pays, we pay. So if healthcare is a right, then health insurance needs to be a right, or according to the new law, a mandate. We're giving away services. It's unaffordable. The new law addresses that problem, and in doing so, saves us all a lot of money.

If you don't think healthcare is a right, then you should be upset about the new law, but if you agree with the government and think that all people deserve healthcare, then this law is for you...and me...and all Americans, because it ensures that we will all have insurance and that we won't bankrupt the government by paying for it

So I know the pressure is on politicians when it comes to healthcare, but my question is for the people who voted against the new law, and that question is simple: why are you opposing a cost saving measure that helps America and Americans?


No comments:

Post a Comment